Yesterday we did nothing of significance. We walked around a little more, shopped around in some touristy outdoor markets, and bought groceries.
We are living in one of the most touristy places I've ever been in - to the point that our grocery bill came to 70 euros ($112), and we didn't buy that much (box of cereal, jar of nutella, pasta sauce, pasta, coke, milk, deli meat, juice, crackers). We have to find where the locals shop - they can't be paying this much every day. We have a few ideas of places to try but if all else fails we will ask our landlady.
School officially starts at 2:00 pm today. What a BUMMER to remember that I'm in law school and have to work for this trip. So far the textbooks are short but not straightforward and very boring. Hopefully that improves because none of us are that interested in school right now.
After our 3-hour orientation, we will take a tour of the Accademia to see Michelangelo's David. Then we have dinner somewhere with the whole group.
Being in Florence is quite odd sometimes, and having the statues of naked men all over the place is one of those times. Not necessarily the statues, but the postcards, boxer shorts, magnets...highlighting these "many faces" of Florence. There are many many reproductions of David's David all over the place. I have heard that there are some creative boxers in Pisa too. Definitely not what I expected, but it gives lots of laughs walking around the city with two other girls. It's different to not have to stare at mostly-naked women all the time like we have to everywhere else, but I was never comfortable calling any depiction of a naked person "art" because I think it's proper to have your clothes ON rather than off when in public. Even with the statues, though, Italy is a very conservative country, and we are not bombarded with sex like in America and other parts of Europe.
It's raining today, and it will until Wednesday. Too bad I didn't bring an umbrella...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment